Meet the team behind Volansi’s flying robots. Each week we share stories from the team at Volansi highlighting their journey to joining the team, how they help keep our drones taking off, and some quirky fun along the way.
Title at Volansi: Vice President of Aircraft Engineering
Joined the team: 2019
Team member #71
Hometown: Aliquippa, PA
Tell us a little bit about your background and the work you did before joining the Volansi team?
I earned a Ph.D. in Aeronautics and Astronautics from Stanford University. I have had several technology roles in my career, including being the Director of Advanced Technology at Neptune Medical, CTO at Martin UAV, Inventor of V-Bat UAV, and Founder & President of MLB Co. (UAV developer and manufacturer). Additionally, I was a design team member with SWIFT hang glider, the highest performing hang glider ever manufactured.
In your own words, what do you do at Volansi?
I’m in charge of the aircraft engineering efforts (aerodynamics, structures, and propulsion) at Volansi. I lead new aircraft design research and development, as well as product development up to the production stage. I also assist other discipline teams as needed.
What has been your favorite project so far at Volansi?
Designing Volansi’s next-generation aircraft and working through flight testing.
What do you like to do in your spare time?
For the past 40 years, I’ve enjoyed flying hang gliders, riding dirt bikes, and building model airplanes.
Who are your heroes in aviation, drone, or logistics history?
It’s hard to narrow it down, but a few are:
- Charles Lindbergh- Entrepreneur, aviator, and engineer
- Jimmy Doolittle- Aviation record holder, aviation military leader, heroic
- Dr. R.T. Jones (inventor of swept wings)- Self-taught genius in many fields, especially aircraft aerodynamics. Inventor of the oblique wing design
- Stanley Hiller- One of the inventors of the modern helicopter, engineer, successful businessman, highly innovative VTOL designer
- Niel Armstrong: Engineer, Astronaut, The Right Stuff
We are in the dawn of unmanned flight and autonomous mobility. What are the applications that excite you most?
Airborne access to information, travel, and goods for the betterment of humanity.